Here's a sampler to help you in your exploration of animalic notes in fragrances. According to Fragrantica the odor profile for Animal Notes is different ingredients, synthetic and natural, that can produce an animalic dirty and deep sensual effect. Animal notes of natural origin are not allowed in the perfume industry today and have been replaced by synthetics. The main ones are civet, musk, castoreum, ambergris and hyraceum. I've added beeswax and animal fur. Natural animal notes in perfume creation were used to enhance smoothness in fragrances.
If you are interested in learning more, here is a great article on Kafkaesque - AbdesSalaam Perfume Course - Part VI: The Animalics
You will receive a 1/2ml sample (1ml sample vial filled half full) of each of the fragrances in this sampler. You also have the option of choosing a 1ml sampler.
- Jovan Retro Musk Cologne (Musk) - The quintessential musk fragrance of the 1970s. The product was unusual at the time because it was marketed to both men and women under the same brand name, and it was introduced by a small company in Chicago rather than Paris or New York. Jovan Musk was a synthetic version of an animal pheromone and was marketed for its ability to enhance sexual attraction. Until then, musk had been used only in small amounts as a fragrance additive. Vintage Jovan Musk is a beautiful smooth scent with a subtly-sweet, soft floral note above the musk that balances the fragrance between freshly showered and just ravaged. Jovan Musk Cologne has been discontinued. We are decanting from an unopened bottle of the original cologne version of the fragrance that was stored in its original box.
- Ella K Melodie d'Altai EDP (Animal Fur) - In the heart of the towering mountain range bordering Kazakhstan, Mongolia and China, on the dry, wild peaks of the Altai lives a proud, nomadic people, who practice Royal Eagle hunting: the Kazakhs. The gentle violence of carnal pleasure freed from all constraints. A scent of leather and fur is carried by a wind blowing from the heart of the wilderness. It is an impulse, an animal instinct. It is unbridled carnal pleasure. An ambery, animal-like impulse savagely awakens a blend of saffron and styrax, leather and fur. Patchouli and vetiver trigger a primitive call to return to nature. Melodie d'Altai features notes of leather, animalic notes, saffron, styrax, patchouli and vetiver.
- 4160 Tuesdays Sexiest Scent on the Planet EDP (Ambergris) - Was specially designed to be a smooth unassuming scent that would have gin botanicals added to it to make a gin-inspired fragrance. A special event was done for two VIP guests, one being a journalist who liked it on its own, as did many of the other visitors and declared it, "the sexiest scent ever!". Sarah thought perhaps it would be a good idea to bottle it that way without the gin botanicals added and The Sexiest Scent On The Planet was born. The Sexiest Scent On The Planet. Ever. IMHO features notes of bergamot, woods, vanilla and ambergris.
- Zoologist Civet EDP (Civet) - Zoologist Civet was created by Shelley Waddington and launched in late 2016. Civet is the main character in this perfume, and the notes are the supporting cast. Opens with coffee and vanilla with all kinds of leather and musk pushing up through it, which seems weird, but works! Beautiful, rich florals and incense continue to deepen the fragrance. Notes of bergamot, black pepper, spices, tarragon, lemon, orange, carnation, frangipani, heliotrope, hyacinth, lime (linden) blossom, tuberose, ylang-ylang, Canadian balsam, civet*, coffee, incense, labdanum, musk*, oakmoss, resins, Russian leather*, vanilla, vetiver and woodsy notes. (*denotes a synthetic note). Civet is described: "... As the sun sinks over the dense tropical forest, civets emerge warily from the thickets. Under a carpet of narcotic flower blossoms, a smattering of coffee berries peppers the ground. The moist air is heavy with mossy aromas that penetrate every crevice, but the musky scent of the civets dominates; their marked territory daring one to enter at one’s own risk."
- Rook Rook EDP (Castoreum) - A note from the perfumer on his website says: "Rook was the scent I created for myself and with a little convincing decided to share. The opening is strong and phenolic with a big puff of smoky firewood and birch tar. I sometimes describe this scent as dirty/clean as the leathery animalic notes juxtapose a soapy accord at its heart. The base is woody and dark with a warm incense accord and the memory of the smoke that started the journey." With top notes of birch tar and tobacco; middle notes of castoreum, cardamom, ginger, civet and agarwood; and base notes of incense, ambrette, ambergris, guaiacwood and musk.
- Zoologist Hyrax Extrait de Parfum (Hyraceum) - Hyrax was created in honor of LuckyScent's 15th Anniversary. The hyrax is a small, furry mammal with rounded ears and no tail and hyraceum is the petrified and rock-like excrement composed of both urine and feces excreted by the hyrax. After aging and petrifying over hundreds if not thousands of years, it is a sought-after material that has been used in both traditional South African medicine and perfumery. The African sun reaches across a mountain range to caress a wide, flat boulder, baking it to a gentle heat. A family of hyrax settle onto the warm expanse of rock to partake in their ritual sunbath. As the heat from sweltering sun intensifies, ancient aromas are coaxed from the scorched rocks, sparse vegetation and petrified hyraceum. Eerily, they intertwine to form a scent that is both primitive and exotic, its animalistic tendencies tamed by an undercurrent of sweet florals. At the heart of Zoologist Hyrax is a daring, seldom-used ingredient in the art of perfumery –– African stone, or hyraceum, giving this bold animalic scent its distinctive signature. This unique perfume skillfully blends saffron, pink pepper, whiskey, rose and musks to invoke an abstract image of a dusty African mountainscape. Created in 2018 by Sven Pritzkoleit, Hyrax features top notes of elemi, pink pepper, saffron and Turkish rose; middle notes of African Stone**, hyacinth, styrax and whiskey; and base notes of amber, benzoin, castoreum*, civet*, patchouli, sandalwood and tonka. *Synthetic notes. Zoologist Hyrax does not use animal derived musks. **African Stone is a by-product of hyraxes and no animals are harmed in its harvesting. Zoologist Hyrax is not a vegan perfume.
- Demeter Beeswax Cologne (Beeswax) - Beeswax is the intoxicating scent of wax, honey and flower pollens. It creates powerful memories of hot summer days and the freshest air imaginable, outdoors and far away from the urban sprawl.