Although tar may seem like a strange thing to search out in a perfume, unusual notes such as asphalt and tar are becoming much more popular in fragrances. These notes are part of the Natural and Synthetic, Popular and Weird Category on Fragrantica.
You will receive a 1/2ml sample (1ml sample vial filled half full) of each of the fragrances in this sampler. You also have the option of choosing a 1ml sampler.
- The Vagabond Prince Land of Warriors EDP - A leather fragrance in tribute to the heroes and adventurers who wore head to toe leather. This fragrance has a unique vertical blend of leather accords that come out in each stage of the fragrance. It includes a vegetal leather, a mineral and spicy leather, an animalic leather effect and a smoky leathery effect. The vegetal leather stage consists of angelique seed, violet leaf, cucumber accord, tomato leaf and blackcurrant leaf. The mineral and spicy leather stage features oakwood, frankincense, davana, cistus absolute, saffron effect, nutmeg and oregano. The animal leather effect is composed of castoreum absolute and ambergris accord and the smoky leathery effect comes from styrax and tar.
- Comme des Garcons Olfactory Library Series 6: Synthetic: Tar EDP - Tar is from CdG's Olfactory Library which features re-releases of ten past limited-edition fragrances. Tar was originally created for the Series 6 Synthetic collection in 2004 by perfumer Natalie Feisthauer. It is a bold unisex fragrance with notes of socially incorrect anti-perfume man-made materials of town gas, vapors of bitumen, grilled cigarettes and pyrogenic notes with additional notes of bergamot, earth notes, opoponax and styrax.
- Miguel Matos Tar EDP - Ever since he was a child, Matos was fascinated by the look and smell of tar. On the street where he lived when they would repair the pavement, he would be sitting at the window watching tar being dropped, black, liquid and glistening. After that, the smell of hot tar would linger for days. He imagined what tar could smell like in a fantasy world - smoky, sweet, woody, caramelized, delicious and powerful. With top notes of licorice, rosewood, bergamot, pineapple, aldehyes and anise; middle notes of smoke, lily of the valley, cinnamon, ylang-ylang, oregano, lavendar and rum; and base notes of patchouli, musk, tobacco, tonka bean, caramel, coffee, oud, animalic notes and opoponax.
- Comme des Garcons Gosha EDT - Reminiscent of skateboarding on a summer day where the wheels are burning on the hot concrete sidewalk and the rubber and tar collide to create a scent of youth and freedom. Gosha features top notes of angelica and buchu; middle notes of chamomile and mandarin orange; and base notes of Haitian vetiver, styrax and patchouli.
- The Society of Scent Asphalt Noire EDP - Created by Jean Claude Delville and inspired by the addictive vapors of asphalt, Asphalt Noir[e] features notes of birch tar, smoky leather, cardamom, narcissus absolute, cypriol (nagarmotha), tonka bean, dark amber and patchouli. Love it or hate it, everyone recognizes the smell of tar! Of course, it is a challenge to build a wearable fragrance from this raw ingredient but in perfumery, birch tar essential oil is used which is obtained from the bark of the tree. This is the central pillar here, a deep smoky and leathery presence, enhanced by the equally characteristic warmth of cardamom. As every beast needs its beauty, narcissus absolute comes to the rescue with its luxurious floral glow. The dive into darker matters continues with earthy tones of patchouli and cypriol and the bewitching orientalist fumes of amber and tonka bean.
- Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab Sinkhole Perfume Oil - The scent of a swamp self-draining: globs of wet earth, crushed grass, and untended dandelions sliding into a morass of moss-crusted opoponax, labdanum and tar.