Traditionally, men wore the scent they were given, but in the last decade or two, men are increasingly more interested in scent and smelling how they want to smell. Men's scent has changed dramatically because of that shift, expanding out of "classic" men's scents like Old Spice (Hey, I still love this scent!) into new areas. Many new scents today are unisex, and men have branched off into notes that have long been viewed as feminine. Why can't a guy wear iris or tuberose? These are amazing notes on anyone, regardless of gender.
But we aren't going to plow scary ground in this sampler pack. This is for the guy who is ready to start trying out scent and move beyond the same scent he's been wearing for years, or move beyond what has been the traditionally classic masculine scent, and this set of scents moves gently past those and includes modern updates to classes of scents and includes some classics. It's a great place to start to find out what you like and don't like, then start moving out beyond just these scents into intermediate and advanced or just exploring a particular note or classification.
These are some of the scents that are important for anyone who wants to learn more about niche and classic fragrances for men, and they are a wonderful reference point, as they are great examples of their type.
All samples are 1/2 ml (1ml sample vial filled half full). Larger sample sets are available:
- Annick Goutal Sables - Immortelle on crack (oriental woody)
- Bvlgari Black - Scorched earth, tar and perfect, and probably on every serious scent lover's Top Ten List, man or woman (oriental woody)
- Caron Yatagan - Leather rough (woody chypre)
- Comme des Garcons Zagorsk - deep woody incense fragrance
- Creed Aventus - modern men's scent that has no equal as far as popularity amongst male perfume afficionados
- Creed Green Irish Tweed - classic men's scent
- Dior Homme- classic with notes of lemon, rosemary, petit grain, basil, water jasmine and vetiver
- Frederic Malle Vetiver Extraordinaire - The best vetiver in existence (oriental woody)