Traditionally, men wore the scent they were given, but in the last decade or two, men are increasingly more interested in scent and smelling how they want to smell. Men's scent has changed dramatically because of that shift, expanding out of "classic" men's scents like Old Spice (Hey, I still love this scent!) into new areas. Many new scents today are unisex, and men have branched off into notes that have long been viewed as feminine. Why can't a guy wear iris or tuberose? These are amazing notes on anyone, regardless of gender.
But we aren't going to plow scary ground in this sampler pack. This is for the guy who is ready to start trying out scent and move beyond the same scent he's been wearing for years, or move beyond what has been the traditionally classic masculine scent, and this set of scents moves gently past those and includes modern updates to classes of scents and includes some classics. It's a great place to start to find out what you like and don't like, then start moving out beyond just these scents into intermediate and advanced or just exploring a particular note or classification.
These are some of the scents that are important for anyone who wants to learn more about niche and classic fragrances for men, and they are a wonderful reference point, as they are great examples of their type.
All samples are 1/2 ml (1ml sample vial filled half full). Larger sample sets are available:
- Amouage Interlude Man - unique and special, there is nothing else like it.
- Annick Goutal Sables - Immortelle on crack (oriental woody)
- Burberry London Man - a woody spicy incense, cinnamon, tobacco, opoponax, wind, leather.
- By Kilian Intoxicated - spiced coffee - cardamom, cinnamon, tobacco, vanilla, coffee.
- Caron Yatagan - Leather rough (woody chypre)
- Comme des Garcons Zagorsk - deep woody incense fragrance
- Creed Aventus - modern men's scent that has no equal as far as popularity amongst male perfume afficionados
- Dior Homme- classic with notes of lemon, rosemary, petit grain, basil, water jasmine and vetiver
- Frapin L'Humaniste - modern classic - cold gin, tobacco, little bit of floral to smooth things out.
- Frederic Malle Vetiver Extraordinaire - The best vetiver in existence (oriental woody)
- Hermes Bel Ami - classic woody chypre
- Montale Black Aoud Intense - Every guy needs to try an oud scent, and this one has been going strong for years and is well-loved (woody floral musk).
- Ormonde Jayne Man - Classic, elegant, manly, Cary Grant scent for evening (oriental woody - Perfumes The Guide Best Masculine).
- Parfums de Nicolai New York Intense - a modern classic.
- Serge Lutens Encens et Lavande - incense and lavender flower.
- Tom Ford Noir - iris, clayr sage, incense, vetiver, civiet and vanilla.