Arquiste Perfumes is a niche perfume brand that was launched in 2012 and created by Carlos Huber, an architect whose specialty is historic preservation. He grew up in Mexico City and studied in Spain and New York City.
Huber's interest in perfume developed from early childhood with a love of Agua de Colonia Sanborns. Perfumer Rodrigo Flores-Roux mentored him as he learned about fragrance and its structure, delving further into his fascination with perfume.
Drawing from his background, each Arquiste fragrance is inspired by a moment in history. He would often think, as he would do his research on a city or building, "what did it smell like?" Using that, he researched the period of time meticulously when creating the six fragrances that initially launched his perfume line. He worked with perfumers Rodrigo Flores-Roux and Yann Vasnier in development of the scents.
Huber on memory and fragrance "A scent is a time capsule; it evokes our most intimate memories and dreams and opens doors to distant worlds". The six fragrances that he launched his brand with are:
- Arquiste L'Etrog - citrus chypre, based on Medeival Calbria. Families gathering the harvest would bring in Etrog citron
- Flor y Canto - opulent floral based on Mexico in the 1400s, flowers offered at the Aztec temples
- Fleur de Louis - woody floral, based on the 1660s in the Basque region in Spain, the meeting of Louis XIV and Infanta Maria Teresa before their marriage (masculine scent)
- Infanta en Flor - floral musky amber, based on the 1660s in the Basque region in Spain, the meeting of Louis XIV and Infanta Maria Teresa before their marriage (feminine scent)
- Anima Dulcis - baroque gourmand, based on Mexico City, 1695, the nuns at the Royal Convent of Jesus Maria prepare their special cocao with chilies
- Aleksandr - ambery leather, based on St. Petersburg, Russia in 1837, a winter morning, before the duel
Arquiste perfumes are a unique and interesting niche perfume line with a fascinating story behind all of their fragrances, and more importantly, really great fragrances. There are currently a total of 12 fragrances in the collection.